Thursday 22 July 2010

Velo Inventory

Sometimes I am asked how many bicycles I have and what is the function of each. As we are building up my custom Royal H. mixte, I have been giving this some thought. I do not want to have redundant bikes and therefore I need to make some decisions. So here is my velo-inventory for the world to see - and pass harsh judgment upon, if so desired.

Pashley Princess Sovereign (Eustacia Vye)

used as:
a transport bike
age: made in 2009
unique? No. My vintage Raleigh performs the same role.
pros and cons? Pros: very stable and great in bad weather. Cons: very heavy and more sluggish than my vintage Raleigh.

Raleigh DL-1 Lady Tourist (Velouria)

used as: a transport bike
age: made in 1973
unique? No. My Pashley Princess performs the same role.
pros and cons? Pros: As fast and nimble as this kind of bike can possibly be. Cons: It is old and I am afraid to rely on it as my only transport bike.


Rivendell Sam Hillborne (Graham Greene)

used as: a road and touring bike
age: made in 2009
unique? Yes. I have no other bike like this.
pros and cons? Pros: A fast and extremely comfortable bike for road cycling. Cons: none.

Mercier Mixte (Suzanne)

used as: an errand bike to keep in my photography studio (which is in another town) for running local errands
age: made in the late 1960's or early 1970's
unique? No. My Motobecane Mirage mixte could take its place.
pros and cons? Pros: makes a great errand bike. Cons: It is old and ever-so-slightly too small for me.

Motobecane Mirage Mixte (Marianne)

used as: A light touring bike when I want to be upright, yet go fast-ish and climb hills
age: made in 1981
unique? No. My new custom mixte will make it redundant.
pros and cons? Pros: It is pretty, but not a rare or high-end bike; can lock it up and not worry. Cons: It is too aggressive for its purpose; not a comfortable bike.

Royal H. Mixte (not yet built up or named)

(will be) used as: a light touring bike when I want to be upright, yet go fast-ish and climb hills
age: frame built in 2009
unique? No. The vintage Motobecane already serves the same function.
pros and cons? Pros: Hopefully, when all built up it will be perfect. Cons: I will be afraid to lock it up and leave it unattended anywhere.

So there you have it, my inventory to date. As you can see, I "only" have 5 bikes so far, which I do not think is too insane. Okay, and a 6th one being built up. Still not totally bonkers, right?..

In terms of bikes performing overlapping roles, there are two major redundancies: the Pashley vs the vintage Raleigh, and the Royal H. mixte vs. the vintage Motobecane. The redundancies bother me, and I would like to have only one bike in each category. This would mean either selling whichever bike is redundant, or repurposing them in some way. Not at all sure what I will do yet regarding the Pashley vs Raleigh conflict. As for the vintage Motobecane mixte, she is currently in the process of being saved from elimination (or being butchered, depending on your perspective). God, I guess I do have too many bikes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ping Blog

Step 1
Blog URL:


Blog Title (optional):


Blog RSS Feed (optional):


I agree with terms of service.

Step 2
Copy the following code and put it on your blog/site to help our blog ping tool track your submission (Need help?):
;

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons