Wednesday 1 September 2010

Velo Orange Croissant Bag: Small, Tidy, Classic

While I prefer a large saddlebag for long distance, on my fixed gear roadbike I wanted something minimal: a bag just big enough to hold a few necessities, but small enough to hang neatly behind the saddle without sticking out to the sides. I considered a "bike burrito" style wrap, but ultimately I like structured bags with secure closures and multiple attachment points. There are several options out there, but I was already placing an order with Velo Orange and decided to get their Croissant Bag while I was at it.

When I removed the bag from its packaging, it was larger than it had looked in the pictures and I was worried that it would not fit in the space under my saddle. But as you can see, everything fit nicely. So even if you have a bit less than the recommended "fistful" of seatpost showing, it should work. The bag retains its structure perfectly, and the straps stay in place. There is no bouncing, and nothing rubs the tire or fender.

Close-up view. The leather and canvas feel to be of good quality. The leather is a medium brown that somewhat (but not exactly) matches the colour of Brooks "honey", as well as the colour of amber-shellacked twine.

View from the front. The lower strap goes around the base of the seatpost; the upper strap threads through the rails under the saddle (not through the bag loops). Installing the bag is fairly straightforward.

The bag opens by unfastening the strap closure and untying the white cord that holds the inner flaps together.

Inner flaps with cord.

Inside, the Croissant bag is shaped like a Chinese food take-out container, and holds about the same volume. (I do not suggest that you stuff it with fried rice, though I found it tempting.) Notice the stiffener in that little pocket on the bottom - that explains how the bag keeps its shape so nicely.

There is not a great deal to say about a bag this small and this simple, and perhaps that is a good thing. It looks and functions exactly as I hoped it would. The Velo Orange Croissant Bag is an excellent choice if you need a small saddlebag that is neat, structured, well-made, and classic. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ping Blog

Step 1
Blog URL:


Blog Title (optional):


Blog RSS Feed (optional):


I agree with terms of service.

Step 2
Copy the following code and put it on your blog/site to help our blog ping tool track your submission (Need help?):
;

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons