Tuesday 22 February 2011

Budget Roadbike for a Novice? Help a Sister Out!

[image via fixedgear]
So, I have a younger sister. She lives in Washington DC and works in the legal/financial sector. She does not read this blog, nor would she be interested in my approach to bicycles - which is fine, but it also means that I am not really able to help her. And the thing is, that Sister has signed up for a 60 mile charity ride to promote a cause that is personal and important to us. The ride is this summer, so she wants to buy a roadbike and start training. She has never ridden a roadbike before, and her current bike is a "comfort bike" type of step-through hybrid which she occasionally rides on the local trails. She tried to buy a roadbike at her local bike shop recently, but that experience left her more confused than ever. She can't imagine riding a bike like the ones they had her try, because the positioning felt dangerous and unnatural. But she knows that she can't do the 60 mile ride on her hybrid.

What then am I to suggest in terms of a bike that will feel as "comfortable" and "not scary" as possible? She wants to spend well under $1,000 (she said $500, but I doubt that's an option). She has no desire to mess with a vintage bike. And things like lugs are not even remotely a priority. She wants a modern bike that will feel stable and safe, and will allow her to complete the 60 mile ride while being able to keep up with the others in her group. I should also add that we are not the same size, so sending her one of my bikes is not an option.

[image via Bianchi USA]

Given the circumstances, I am thinking Bianchi Volpe - maybe there will be a 2010 model on clearance at her local bike shop. Or else something by Salsa or by Surley? Alternatively, I recall seeing aluminum Bianchi, Trek and Jamis roadbikes in the $700-800 range, but have no idea what models they are or whether they are any good. But really I am just grasping at straws here. I know that some of my readers ride "normal" modern roadbikes and roll their eyes at my preference for lugged steel and quill stems. Any advice from that camp? I am also thinking of what she should be asking the person who will be helping her at the bike shop. If she wants to get the handlebars higher, does she need to tell them to insert spacers - or how do threadless stems work? She thinks that I "know about bikes" and doesn't understand why I can't just tell her which bike to get. I am out of my depth and at your mercy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ping Blog

Step 1
Blog URL:


Blog Title (optional):


Blog RSS Feed (optional):


I agree with terms of service.

Step 2
Copy the following code and put it on your blog/site to help our blog ping tool track your submission (Need help?):
;

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons